Whether you care about the planet or just want to reduce your water bill, here are some tips on how to conserve more water around the house. It’s easy to do and great for both Mother Earth and your wallet!
* Take Shorter Showers – Standard showers use about 5-10 gallons of water per minute. Aim at keeping your showers under 10 minutes. You can take it a step further by inst alling a low-flow shower head which will reduce the amount of water used.
* Fix Leaks Quickly – Fix water leaks as soon as you notice them. Even small leaks can waste gallons of water per day!
* Turn Faucets Off – Turn the faucet off while brushing your teeth or while lathering with soap in the shower, then turn it on to rinse. You will save gallons of water per use!
* Dishwashing – For hand-washing, fill one side of the sink with soap and water to wash and the other side with clean water to rinse them. Then pour boiling water on top of the rinsed dishes to kill any germs. If you use an automatic dishwasher don’t pre-rinse dishes. If needed, put dishes in the sink with hot water and use a brush to loosen up any dirt. Also make sure to run the dishwasher only when fully loaded.
* Boiling Water – Pre-measure the water you need before boiling so you don’t waste water and it boils faster. You can also you the microwave to heat a cup of water.
* Laundry – Same as with the dishwasher, only run the washer when it''s full.
* Drinking Water – Instead of running the tap to get cold water, get a water filter and keep a pitcher with water in your refrigerator. You can also buy a reusable water bottle to take with you instead of buying bottled water which creates waste.