BY LESLIE BAUMANN
More women are turning to natural and organic skincare products, but this segment of the beauty industry can be compared to the Wild West. There’s little regulation and oversight when it comes to labeling, so it’s important to be educated. Unfortunately, unscrupulous companies are trying to capture a piece of this burgeoning market.
You can find so-called “organic” skincare products in drugstores, department stores and natural markets like Whole Foods. But don’t just take their word for it, look for these labels:
USDA: Among the strictest of organic certifications, this seal guarantees that at least 95 percent of the ingredients are certified organic (and there are strict guidelines for what the remaining 5 percent can be). The ingredients meet the same standards that organic foods must have, which means guidelines for how they are grown, raised, processed and sold.
COSMOS (Cosmetics Organic Standard): This European-based oversight will be in full effect by December 2014, but its certification is slowly being attached to personal care products. Although this is a for-profit association formed by six of the first E.U. organic certifiers, this label indicates a product is free of GMOs (genetically modified organisms), irradiation, parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate, animal testing and other controversial ingredients. COSMOS also requires that 95 percent of the agricultural ingredients be certified organic, and 20 percent of the total product by weight must be organic (including water).
NaTrue: This relatively new non-profit out of Europe has created a three-star system that rates products as “natural,” “natural with organic content” and “organic.” To receive three stars, 95 percent of the agricultural ingredients must be certified organic, while products with 70 percent receive 2 stars.
It’s important to keep in mind that just because a product is labeled as “natural” or “organic,” doesn’t mean it’s better for your skin. Sometimes a product with naturally derived ingredients that have been tweaked in a lab can be more beneficial than a truly organic product. Anyone with sensitive skin needs to read ingredients carefully, since essential oils — which can be a major cause of skin reactions — are often used as preservatives. There are also common plant-based ingredients that can be irritants, whether they are organically grown or not.
Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/25/2231035/going-organic-can-be-tricky.html#ixzz1NOO1Quq6