If you follow TreeLiving you are already familiar with the terms we will refer in this article: Wind, solar, and geothermal energy. In this case we are going to list their pros and cons as well as other details. Here is some basic information about these types of alternative energy:
1. Wind Power Wind is a renewable energy source. Wind farms convert wind into a useful form of energy, such as wind turbines to make electricity, windmills for mechanical power, wind pumps for water pumping or drainage, or sails to propel ships. Wind power is renewable, widely distributed, clean and produces no greenhouse gas emissions during the mechanical operation.
• Wind is a renewable, clean energy source that makes no harm to the environment.
• Your costs will go down as you supplement your home’s power with wind-generated energy.
• Home wind turbine kits are price accessible and widely available.
• You need to own a flat, windy terrain for wind turbines to work properly.
• Equipment and set-up can be expensive (for large wind farms).
• Turbines must be maintained by a professional or a very skillful homeowner.
• Large turbines can be noisy and dangerous for flying creatures. 2. Solar Energy Solar energy can power small items like radios or cell phone chargers, or they can meet the energy needs of entire households and even communities.
• Solar energy is clean and renewable.
• Batteries can be used to store extra power for use when the sun is not shining.
• If you don’t have batteries, solar energy will work only when the sun is shining.
• Solar panels installation must be done for a professional. 3. Geothermal Energy Geothermal energy uses the earth as a heat source. The geothermal heat pumps circulate liquid under the earth’s surface to be cooled in summer or warmed in winter.
• This is a renewable source of energy that is clean.
• You will be “off the grid” and not subject to power company high prices.
• A great deal of digging is necessary to install a geothermal system.
• Government financial aid and tax rebates may be available to help finance your upgrade. Generally speaking, with the different forms of alternate energy you don’t need to worry about power company high prices breaking your budget and some of them, particularly solar, require little maintenance.