For many, the morning is a busy time. You’re running around trying to get ready for the day and being environmentally conscious while doing this may be the last thing on your mind. If you are eco-conscious and want to do more, you’ll be pleased to learn that there are simple, and fast, steps you can take to green your morning routine.
- Take s horter showers. Cut back on the water you use by taking less time in the shower. Even better, change your showerhead to a low flow one and cut back on consumption even more.
- Go au natural. Don’t dry your hair if you don’t have to and save electricity.
- Turn off the water when you’re not using it. Do you run the water while you brush your teeth or wash your face? Turn off the faucet and save water.
- Unplug. Unplug devices like hair dryers, razors and curling irons after you’re done using them.
- Drink fair trade and/or organic coffee. Fair trade and organic practices are better for the environment.
- Use recycled or re-usable coffee filters. Replace your bleached white coffee filter with a reusable one and save trees from sacrifice. It also cuts back on manufacturing and transportation emissions.
- Eat breakfast at home. Instead of the drive through, make your own green smoothie with locally grown organic veggies or enjoy some farm raised organic eggs.
- Turn off lights when you’re not in the room (and replace those bulbs with LEDs or CFLs).
- Save energy with your thermostat. Consume less energy by turning it down in winter and up in summer when you are not home. Just five degrees can make a huge difference.
- Carpool to work/school, ride your bike or walk if possible. It’s good for your health and it’s eco-friendly.
In most cases, greening your morning routine involves making simple changes. Swap other products like beauty, cleaning, and paper supplies for more environmentally friendly ones and you can further your contribution to the world without making you late for work.